Sketchbook - LUCERNA: The Inner Workings of a Work in Progress


Initial Concept drawing for Lucerna, done in graphite on 8.5X11 cold press paper.

The final work will be a dark fantasy piece depicting a female anthropomorphic figure similar to this. The figure is the spirit Lucerna, whose name in Latin means literally "lamp". She is similar to the angel Lucerne, who appeared to 8th century Benedictine Monks with fire streaming from his fingertips and showed them where to build their first chapel.

My adaptation of Lucerna appears as if carried on the moonlight. She holds before her a bowl of candles floating on water from the sacred spring of life. She brings a light unto the darkness, but the light is not for her. She has no need of it anyway. Her eyes are closed so as not to judge by appearance those who are lost and drawn to her light. She is like the Princess of Cups; a manifestation of potential, a new emotional start, a sense of being comfortable with the self. She is empathic, understanding, and accepting of all who approach her.

The key to this figure is expression. I wanted one similar to an individual who was sleep walking or only half awake. The placement of the hands is also important. I wanted the image to feel as though she is not just holding the light, but holding it out, toward the viewer. I also wanted the figure to include the feet, so while this one successfully translates the body language and expression, it will have to be redrawn to include the feet. No big deal.

Of the five different figure drawings I actually made, this was the one I chose as a basis for the figure in the finished work. The final image will be mostly digital, but I still like to start with plain old pencil and paper. Have a look at the rejected images...


For the final piece, I want to reproduce a technique similar to scratchboard or engraving so that it will have the feel of an antique book illustration or an old wood block print.

I've been working on the final piece for about a week now, and I'm happy to say that it's nearly complete. When it is, I'm going to post it along with the link to a new google+ collection where I'll be keeping it. Stay tuned...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December Sketchbook: Scrooge's Counting House

Every Day is Halloween: Drowned Zombie

Revenge of the Sketchbook: September, Issue #01