Patience at the Window


Been gone for a while, but I'm back, and what's more, it's almost HALLOWEEN!! You know me - I'm already trying to spookify the house (much to the confusion of my neighbors).

This #oilpainting is on a 16X20 stretched linen canvas (the pre-made kind from Hobby Lobby, cause I'm lazy.) I've used several different brands of paint here, including #grumbacher #bobross #windsorandnewton #artiststouch and #dalerandrowney. I like grumbacher because of its smooth consistency, but sometimes the colors seem too translucent and it tends dry very quickly for oil, so you have to keep the palette covered with plastic wrap when you're not using it. I don't use any medium other than #grumtine because I don't really care for the shiny effect that stand oil or linseed oil leave behind.

A limited color palette helps maintain the focus in this painting. I used ultramarine blue, burnt sienna, payne gray, and white with just the tiniest touch of yellow ochre and vermillion. This painting was a big accomplishment for me. I've never painted a portrait before. :)

R.I.P "Button", 2001 - 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December Sketchbook: Scrooge's Counting House

Every Day is Halloween: Drowned Zombie

Revenge of the Sketchbook: September, Issue #01