Baron Samedi's Top Hat


As you may already know (and if you don't, just keep reading), last year's zombie walk to benefit Feed the Humans was a smashing success. It was the first time that an event of this kind had been scheduled in Chattanooga, and this year, Red Towers Entertainment is determined to do it again. I don't know about the rest of you, but I intend to be there. In fact, I've already made my reservations. So now we come to the subject of proper attire...

Rather than fall in line behind the other zombies, I had something more original planned - a Baron Samedi costume. According to Haitian Voodoo, Baron Samedi, also known as Baron Cimetiere or Baron La Croix, is the leader of the Guede clan, powerful Loa with particular links to magic, ancestor worship, and death. The Baron's chief realm of concern is the newly departed, hence the reason why he is known as the Baron of the Cemetery. He is master of the dead, and what more fitting a costume for a zombie walk than a zombie-loving voodoo Loa? Curious? Read on...

After a bit of research online and a few old movies, this is what I learned: Baron Samedi is normally depicted wearing a top hat and dinner jacket, and while the reason is somewhat obscure, most authorities believe it is because he is dressed as if for a funeral. He has a particular fondness for rum and tobacco and is nearly always depicted holding a glass or bottle in his bony hand with a cigar clutched tightly in his teeth. He often carries a cane or walking stick, though it is mostly as a symbol of status, and is sometimes shown bearing a watch or hourglass. And he is ALWAYS depicted as having a skull for a face. With that being said, it didn't take me long to realize that I would have to make the costume myself. So here I go...

The Baron's most recognizable feature is his fancy top hat. After searching for patterns on Google Images and Pinterest, I found a pattern that I could translate from fabric to something more sturdy - cardboard.

 The crown is made from heavy corrugated cardboard salvaged from a tri-fold presentation board. The brim was cut from the sturdy side of a commercial food shipping container. I printed the top hat pattern on regular copy paper, then taped it to the cardboard and cut it out. I carefully measured the rectangular crown piece and then divided it into equal parts using a straight edge. I scored the cardboard along the inside of the bend, being careful not to cut all the way through, then carefully bent the crown to its proper shape and fastened it with tape. The brim was formed in the same fashion. The entire assembly was then covered in black cotton fabric and trimmed with 3/4 inch grosgrain ribbon. The ribbon not only conceals the raw edges of the fabric skin but helps to stiffen and hold the hat together. The small skulls and bones trimming the brim were stripped from a pirate costume's necklace, while the larger skull was one of many that adorned an old decorative Halloween themed curtain. The Ace of Spades was pilfered from a deck of cards I found in our junk drawer.

The total cost for construction? Mine only cost about $3.00 to make since I already had most of the materials. In the event you actually had to buy something, it might cost you a bit more, especially if you intend to be a bit more elaborate than I.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December Sketchbook: Scrooge's Counting House

Every Day is Halloween: Drowned Zombie

Revenge of the Sketchbook: September, Issue #01